Students, teachers and administration support Friday early release

Students will be released from school at 12:34 on Friday so they can show their support for the girls varsity basketball team in the state semifinals at MSU’s Breslin Center, said Principal Matt Outlaw.

Buses will be provided to students who want to attend the game in East Lansing, said Student Activities Director Maria Mitzel. The buses are paid for through the Student Activities Fund, so rides are free of charge.

The buses leave at 12:50 sharp for a trip that will take roughly two hours, Mitzel said. The game starts at 2:50.

The early release was declared by necessity, said Outlaw, who will “absolutely be attending this game.”

“So many teachers are going that there’s no way we will have enough staff,” said Outlaw. Additionally, so many students are attending the game that it would cause a disruption to afternoon classes.

Students, such as Andy Hartz ’13, have been generally pleased with the announcement of a half day. Hartz added that he is excited to attend the game with his friends and classmates.

“Ideally, we’d get a full day off, but we’ll take what we can get,” said Hartz. “It’s good that we’re getting a half day either way so we can go up there and show our support.”

While the changed schedule may cause headaches for teachers, science teacher Shawn McNamara suggested that the early release could actually have some benefit.

“It’s not like we should have a half day every time a team goes to state (competition),” said McNamara, “but this program is a very visible part of South that I think students should have the opportunity to be a part of.”

“It’s important to support our students and support school,” said English teacher Dennis Pascoe. “It builds unity.”

Students can find permission slips for the buses in room 236, or in the main hall during and after school. Although the busses are free, tickets to the game itself are $5.