Out of school suspension ensures maximum safety for students and staff

Dana Kornmeier ’14 | Business Manager

Paying the price for misbehavior, students could find themselves at home to serve one of the most serious disciplinary consequences in high school: out of school suspension.

“Out of school (suspension) is when we have a serious consequence and we need somebody to be out of the building,” said Principal Dr. Matt Outlaw. “Either for a major infraction, a fight or other safety-type thing. It’s our maximum penalty that we do other than expulsion.”

Suspensions are normally applicable to students whose conduct is in violation of rules of the school, an accumulation of lesser offenses or failing to meet the conditions of an in school separation, according to the Grosse Pointe Public School System Code of Conduct.

“When it comes to actions like getting into a fight, suspension is more of a cooling off period to keep our student body safe from any other harm that could be done,” said Assistant Principal Debbie Higgins. “They go home, cool off for a number of days, and come back, which is determined by administration once the incident has occurred.”

How long the suspension lasts depends on what the student did wrong, but can range from 1 to 10 days, Higgins said.

“With a suspended student, we work closely with their family to make sure they are getting everything they need,” said Higgins. “The student must work with their teachers to find out if they can make up work.”

During the suspension, the student is encouraged to keep up with the work of their classes, the Code of Conduct said. Students will receive credit for assignments and homework if arrangements can be made to submit work to the teacher within the specified time.

“(Along with class assignments and homework), we regularly do assignments that accompany intervention,” said Outlaw. “Sometimes it’s a suspension plus counseling, sometimes it’s a suspension plus community service, but every case is different.”

Suspended students, in addition to completing missed class work, cannot participate in any school-related activities, Higgins said. Any type of athletics, school dances and school field trips are not allowed.

Before, during and after the suspension, administrators are required to consult with the superintendent on actions taken, the Code of Conduct said. Any suspensions lasting over three days must be reported to the Board of Education.

“If it is a five day suspension or more it goes on your permanent record,” said Outlaw. “Every case is different though, so it depends on the infraction.”

If any aspect of the suspension is not fulfilled, the progressive disciplinary method the school district uses assesses what the student would then be required to do, Higgins said.

“Fortunately, (the number of suspensions this school year is) reduced,” said Higgins. “Every year the number is going down, which is our ultimate goal with disciplinary action like this.”

Not only are suspensions deterrents for the individual, but also a message to the entire student body that that particular behavior is unacceptable, Outlaw said.