US News ranks South second best public school in Michigan

By Olivia Lang ’15 | Feature Editor

Recognizing South as the second best public high school in the state and fourth best high school in the state overall, the US News and World Report released their annual, nationwide “Best High Schools” report on Tuesday, April 23.

“We have great programs here, I think that we have excellent teachers, but I think the number one thing that we have is that we have students and families that value education, that work hard and that are committed to their academics,” said Principal Dr. Matt Outlaw. “The reality of what’s going on is that we have great education going on every day.”

The US News used a three-part process to rank and evaluate 21,035 high schools this year, according to their website. The first step was to analyze the schools’ scores on the state’s proficiency tests in reading and math. Next, the US News examined how economically disadvantaged students at the school compared to other economically disadvantaged students in the state. The third and final step calculated the school’s college readiness level by studying its achievement on Advanced Placement (AP) tests from the 2010-2011 school year.

“(The ranking is) one little snapshot, but I think it would be hard for anyone to argue that South is not a top five school in the state of Michigan,” said Outlaw. “Everybody in the building should take pride in it because everybody takes the state test and those types of things all factor into the formula.”

Released Tuesday, April 16, the Washington Post also ranked South; this time South was awarded fifth most challenging high school in the state, according to their website. The Washington Post generated their countrywide ranking based on a formula that divided the number of AP tests taken by the number of seniors.

Averaging two to three hours of homework per night, Connor Mallegg ’16 said he is very much aware that South is tough, but that he will benefit from the challenge.

“It’s a challenging school, but I mean we’re going to have to be challenging if we’re going to be second best in the state,” said Mallegg. “They set up the curriculum to make it challenging, and it is all just better for us.”

While many students at South have been in the Grosse Pointe Public School system from the ground up, students newly introduced to the school district have the unique opportunity to compare South with former schools.

Having moved to the district from North Carolina, Kaira Ells ’13 said South is more demanding than her previous school, but that teachers and students are devoted to meet the standards set at this school.

“There’s honestly no comparison (to my old school), South is a lot more challenging and structured and the rigor of the classes is just so intense, but the teachers are passionate about everything they do,” said Ells. “Students enjoy coming to school (at South) because it’s a beautiful school, but also because they know they are going to get their education source out of it.”

New student from Maryland Cat Kabbani ’15 has not noted a significant difference in the curriculums; however, she said she has nothing but good things to say about South.

“Everyone has been really friendly; all the teachers are incredibly helpful. The only things I’ve noticed with the student body are positive things,” said Kabbani. “It’s pretty much lined up the same with my old school; there hasn’t really been a gap in the curriculum at all.”

South’s teachers are all very helpful and passionate about their professions, Ells said.

“If I get a bad grade on a test or whatever, they (the teachers) are always willing to meet with me whenever I need to; they’re always willing to help me get my grades up,” said Mallegg.

English teacher Melanie Lauer, who came to the district from Chicago Public Schools, said that teachers at South care more about the success of their students than her previous location.

“(The teachers) are all extremely professional and take their jobs very seriously. Compared to where I was before, there is more interest in the students,” said Lauer. “As a teacher, I feel much more supported and valued here and in terms of involvement and things like that the students are so invested in the school, and the parents are so much more involved in the students’ lives.”

Ells said she believes that it is the teachers’ enthusiasm that creates the students’ desire to come to school and to succeed.

“The students (at South) are excited to learn because the teachers are enthusiastic about it, and I think on a daily basis students, I know I do, enjoy going to school for the challenge,” said Ells. “South got an honest rating when the US News did this because test scores and stuff prove that South is just an amazing school.”

Outlaw said he pleased with the amount and consistency of great things that South has to offer.

“Every day there is something positive in this building that we could report on, every day,” said Outlaw.