Punishment decision for student that sent “bomb” tweet to be made on Monday

Santorum visits with students in the commons area on Wednesday, March 24.

By Isaac Piecuch ’14 | Page Editor

After making a tweet that contained both “Santorum” and “bomb” in the same sentence, a South student was detained by the Grosse Pointe Farms Police and taken out of the school on Wednesday, April 24.

The tweet said, “Hey Mr. Santorum, can you sign this bomb for me?”

Police would not confirm whether or not the student was still in custody.

Assistant Principal Terry Flint said the situation is still unfolding regarding what will happen to the student. Flint confirmed that the police are still involved, and that the student is suspended. It is unknown whether expulsion is possible. A final decision from the school regarding the fate of the student will be made Monday, April 25.

“No determination has been made about anything yet,” said Flint. “All we know is that a good student made a bad choice.”

It seems that the tweet was likely an attempt at a joke; peers stress that the student is known for a unique sense of humor. Student response to the tweet has been mixed.

Some were critical.

“In a society where people get bombed often, even in jest, threatening a presidential candidate is a bad idea,” said Jack McCoy ’14.

The idea that it was a poor decision was reinforced by others.

“I think that (the tweet) was really dumb,” said James Nunley ’16. “Political leaders may not come back because of it.”

Still, others have shown some support for the student. The tweet had 10 retweets and 43 favorites on Twitter two days after.

“It was a little blown out of proportion, but he should have used better judgment,” said Genevieve Hummer ’14.

This tweet appears to be the only hitch in an otherwise seamless event. Santorum was still able to share his message with over 1,000 students and hold a community forum following the student assembly.