Girls basketball knocks off Marian, gets back to Breslin

Girls+basketball+knocks+off+Marian%2C+gets+back+to+Breslin+

Neala Berkowski ’13 | Page Editor

With over 80 students in attendance, the girls basketball team beat Marian High School last night, Tuesday, March 12,  63-58 in the Class A state quarterfinals at Lake Shore High School. The win will send the team to the Breslin Center in East Lansing on Friday, March 15 where they will play Dexter High School in the state semifinals at 2:50 p.m.

“We played great as a whole tonight, even when things didn’t turn out the way we wanted them to,” said guard Cierra Rice ’15.

Claire DeBoer, Christy Flom and Gretchen Shirar all ’13, Bre’nae Andrews ’14 and Rice started the game and earned an early lead for South, but were soon tied with the Mustangs 8-8 in the first quarter.

The Lady Blue Devils led at the half 33-26 with a seven point lead, with DeBoer leading in scoring with 11 points at the half. By the end of the game, Rice had tallied 26 points, tying her season high.

South kept its lead throughout the third quarter and into the fourth. After DeBoer fouled out at the beginning of the fourth quarter, the players ran the clock to secure a five-point lead.

When comparing his team from this year to last, head coach Kevin Richards said, “It’s a different team, different year and hopefully we will have different results,” said Richards, referring to when the team lost by one point to Grand Haven in the state finals last year. “That’s been our goal since we walked out of the locker room last year.”

The game plan was to attack Marian defensively, said Richards. Although the Lady Blue Devils did play Marian last year, their team had completely changed by the time they played last night.

“This year I think our team is a lot older, and we have a lot more experience,” said Emily Satterfield ’13. “We know what it feels like to be at Breslin and it has driven us to get back there.”

Photos by Harrison Krasner ’14