Governor Whitmer orders all K-12 Michigan schools to close for three weeks due to Coronavirus concerns

Meghan Wysocki '22, Copy Editor

Governor Gretchen Whitmer ordered all schools across the state to close for three weeks beginning March 16. Photo from Wikipedia public domain.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced in a press conference at 11 p.m. Thursday, March 12, that all K-12 schools in the state would be ordered to close for three weeks, reopening Monday, April 6.

The state has accumulated 12 presumptive positive tests for coronavirus, up from the first two announced on Tuesday, when Whitmer declared a state of emergency. In her speech, Whitmer noted that measures were being taken to ensure students and families were supported through the abrupt change.
“This is a necessary step to protect our kids, our families, and our overall public health,” Whitmer said in her statement. “I am working with partners across state government to ensure educators, parents, and students have the support they need during this time, and to ensure our children who rely on school for meals have access to food. I know this will be a tough time, but we’re doing this to keep the most people we can safe. I urge everyone to make smart choices during this time and to do everything they can to protect themselves and their families.”
This announcement came roughly nine hours after the district released a statement saying it would close on Friday, March 13 to allow staff and faculty from each building to undergo a day of professional development on age-appropriate online learning, according to a tweet sent out by the official Grosse Pointe Public School System Twitter.

The Tower will continue to update as more details become available.