Just keep swimming: Depth-oriented girl’s swim sets high goals

Keely Messecar '21, Web Editor

As the Grosse Pointe South girls swim team prepares for their intense season, the team has set high hopes for the season and are ready to do well, according to head coach John Fodel.

“I have high goals, we are a young team but we have a lot of talent. We are more depth-oriented this year but I don’t know how high we can get,” Fodel said. “As we start facing the tougher competition, I think we will get a better look of where we stand.”

The swimmers  on the team are looking forward to their meet in Chicago according to captain Emily Burke ’20, who said the Chicago meet will be great bonding for the team.

“I am looking forward to the Chicago meet and I think everyone is because it’s such a big event and it will be really fun. It will be a great time to learn and grow and get to know everyone on the team,” swimmer Jacquelyn Wang ’21 said.

The swimmers have been working hard already this year with practices every day after school and some morning practices, according to Fodel.

“(The practice schedule consists of) mandatory practices for two and a half hours every single day after school,” Wang said.

According to Fodel, it will be hard to replace the lost seniors, however Fodel hopes they can replace them with depth as a team. 

“We are a lot more energetic this year and there are a lot more of us on the team. We are training hard with our new freshman,” Burke said.

The team hopes to win the MACs along with placing at least top 4 in states according to Fodel, and they also hope to win the Wayne County meet.

“I am looking forward to the girls growing,” Fodel said, “They have some shoes to fill and I think they can do it. I think watching them grow and become much better swimmers and come together as a team and realize what they have potential to do can be pretty cool.”