Don’t blink

Sophia Fowler '22

River Kraus '22, Staff Writer

Have you ever been told to cherish every moment you have in highschool? Well that could not be more true. Highschool happens in a blink of an eye, and I promise you that you’re going to wish you had spent more time in the present.
I remember at the end of freshman year, I said to myself, “Wow that was quick.” The next thing I knew, I was already halfway through my sophomore year wondering, “what is going on?” It’s actually ridiculous how quick not even just highschool, but life in general moves. You need to seriously take a breath and really look around.
My time in high school hasn’t been the most ideal experience, but it’s still something I will never forget. Even with the pandemic, I found ways to be positive and make the most of it. The memories I’ve made at South are ones I wouldn’t trade for anything.
When I entered South as a freshman, my older friends told me to try new things and get out of my comfort zone, but sadly I didn’t listen. Now looking back, I very much regret it. I know it sounds scary or not “cool,” but it will really help and shape you into a better person. It will teach you many different things and ultimately help you in your later stages of life.
I really want to thank my friends that were on my hockey or baseball teams for making highschool the best four years of my life. High school sports are truly unmatched, and if I was able to time travel and go back to one specific time, it would be to play one more game. The atmosphere in highschool sports games is something you will never get back. The brotherhood you build with these guys is something that is honestly spectacular and you will carry on through the rest of highschool.
I also want to thank my parents for giving me the tools and opportunities to succeed in highschool. You guys kept me in it even when I wasn’t feeling like it and gave me the motivation to keep going. I would be nothing without you, and I really appreciate everything you do for me.
Overall please underclassmen, cherish every moment, every game and every opportunity. Highschool truly happens in a blink of an eye, and you’re gonna wish you were able to go back.