Cherishing the good, releasing the bad

Sophia Fowler '22

Owen Sanford '22, Web Editor

When looking back on all of the memories I have made at South, it is clear that I will remember many of these moments for the rest of my life– both the good and the bad. When I first entered high school, I was always told how important it would be for me to put myself out there and try new things, and until recently, I had no idea how true that really was. From writing this, I have learned so many important lessons that I will carry with me throughout college and the rest of my life. I was able to learn these lessons due to the support of my friends, teachers and the great community we have at South.
When people are going through hard times, the easiest thing to do is to try and forget those struggles and move on. However, I have come to realize the importance of absorbing the bad times and learning from them. This may be cliché, but honestly the most important lessons that I have learned in high school have stemmed from mistakes that I have made. While I may look back on the good memories with a better attitude in the future, I will always remember the things I learned from the bad.
This period of time between decision day and graduation is a time of reflection for us seniors. It is of the utmost importance to realize the truly special community we have built here. I am very proud to be a member of this community, in which most of us are genuinely trying to make the world a better place for those around us. When we all contribute, we all benefit.
To my friends, family and teachers, I want to say thank you. All of you have made my life better in many ways and have helped me distinguish the good moments among the bad. I do not know what I would do without your support, and I will continue to use the lessons I have learned from all of you as I move on in my life.
With all of that being said, it seems that my time here is coming to a close. I am proud to be calling myself a Grosse Pointe South alumni in the near future, and I am sure I will not forget the memories I have made here.