South athletes stay on during the off-season

Bridget Doyle '21 and Hope Whitney '21, Copy Editor and Page Editor

The off season- a time for athletes to take a break from everyday practice, relax and rest their bodies. But for some, there is no off-season, their time off comes with even more training and practice.

According to girls’ varsity field hockey head coach Jessie Rouleau, practicing off-season can range from joining a club team to working on fitness.

“Talking with your high school coach and giving them your goals and asking them specifically what you need to do to make the next level (is important),” Rouleau said. “(Athletes should) work with those goals to see what opportunities (are offered) during the off-season.”

Varsity lacrosse player Henry Shields ’21 works on his skills year round, practicing at home and through separate teams.

“I will attend the lacrosse workouts throughout the winter, and find a net somewhere to shoot as many times as I can,” Shields said. “I want to show up to our next practices improved and ready to play.”

According to Shields, practicing constantly throughout the off season allows him to work on his skills without the pressure of performance during competition.

“The off season is when I can become truly dialed and improve (my) weaknesses, things that I may not be able to do during the season,” Shields said. “By focusing on my weaknesses, I am able to train myself in waysI don’t usually do during my regular season.”

Varsity soccer and field hockey player Olivia Frye ’22 works on fitness daily going to the gym and often participates in off season camps to maintain her skills.

“For field hockey and soccer, I do a sports training (called) Detroit Thrive that incorporates strength and speed training,” Frye said. “I’ve been doing this program for three years during off seasons and it keeps me in shape for my next sport. It also helps my mindset so I stay on track before competing.”

According to Rouleau, coaches notice when players have worked to stay in touch with their fitness and skills during the off-season, which works to boths advantage.

“Keeping up your fitness all year round to get ready for a tryout is important,” Rouleau said. “If (an athlete) puts in the hard work and finds opportunities, coaches can usually tell if (they’re) rusty or not.”