Coping as a community

Graphic by Just-Us Welch 20

Graphic by Just-Us Welch ’20

The Tower Editorial Board

On October 11, 2019, the people of Grosse Pointe suffered a tragic loss. Finn Huston ’22 was declared in critical condition following a collision with another student while riding a bicycle the night before. It was later found out that Huston passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13 in the hospital, surrounded by loved ones.

During the day, Fox 2 News visited South and wrote an article detailing the events of the night before; unfortunately, they referred to Huston as “she” instead of “he”. That night, dozens of students saw this error and called Fox 2 News, demanding they make the correction. This was   just the beginning of the many ways our community united in remembrance of Huston.

The week following the accident brought South’s biggest rivalry of the year: North vs. South. The competitiveness and tension that usually persists through this week was placed on the backburner this year. Instead, the two schools focused their attention on honoring Huston and helping one another heal.

Some South students worried that the rock painted in honor of Huston would be vandalized by North students the night before the football game. South’s football team guarded the rock late into the night to ensure that wouldn’t happen. It didn’t, and what did occur was the exact opposite. North students passed out free cookies, standing next to signs reading: “North loves South!” and bagels and coffee from North’s staff to South’s were welcome acts of kindness while South worked to heal.

This compassion and respect continued into the night. A family friend of the Hustons created shirts, sweatshirts and stickers featuring a design Huston had made for his sister. These items were sold by students leading up to the football game, where students were encouraged to wear them in his honor. At that game, the stands were a sea of Huston’s design as students adorned his creation The shirts, the moment of silence at the beginning of the game and the lantern release at the end all symbolize the overwhelming support for Huston and his family, and how he had touched so many within the school.

We believe these actions are reminders of this community’s strength, kindness and empathy. Especially in the midst of a tragedy, it is truly remarkable how we band together in support of those who are hurting. Everyone grieves in different ways, and it’s extremely important for us to be there for each other. During this time, we don’t know who may need it most. Without the help of others, our community would not be able to recover. 

We commend both South and North’s staff and students, as well as members of the community who have taken the time to support others who are struggling. It takes an effort from everyone in order to pay homage the proper way.

Even those who didn’t know the Huston family couldn’t help but be affected by an event of this magnitude. Such devastating loss puts what really matters into perspective, and that’s being there for others in a time of need. It can be easy to forget the positive impact that unity can have on those around us. 

In honoring a life that has been taken too soon, being there for one another is the least we can do.