The art of learning is something to be learned

Mmeli Honablue ’24

The art of learning is something that has no formula. No checklist that can guarantee an A on a test. For some students, old-fashioned note taking while listening to a teacher talk may not work, but it may work for others. For some students, studying flashcards with a friend may work, but may not for other students. Some students may struggle with writing essays, while others excel at them. At The Tower, we believe learning should be something that is personalized to students’ strengths.

We know that everyone learns differently. Some students retain information better when they utilize online resources such as Kahoot or Quizlet; others study by reviewing and rewriting notes. It’s all about what works best for a student to help them retain information. But the study-then-take-a-test learning model could potentially be damaging to a student’s education.

According to the National Library of Medicine, giving tests in a class is an effective way of learning when done moderately and is used as a learning tool. Tests are effective if it is used as a re-study tool and test-takers know that taking the test will help them gain knowledge. At South, test averages make up the majority of a student’s grade in core classes. Test grades can make or break someone’s grade. If tests are being given too frequently and are the only way a teacher allows students to demonstrate their knowledge, it can be damaging to a student’s success within their education. If teachers used tests as a learning tool rather than a possibly determining factor of their grade, students may be able to better understand the content being taught.

There are a plethora of different ways to display knowledge. Teachers should aim to have students enjoy what they are learning while using critical thinking skills. Teachers should abandon the old lecture style of talking at a class for an hour straight and opt for a less 19th century approach. Teachers should incorporate activities that question students’ beliefs while also teaching them content. Examples of these could be essays, group projects, interactive class activities, mock trials and speeches, just to name a few. These things can actively help students retain what they learned from one section of a class for much longer compared to a test. To have students take the time to thoroughly learn the information that they have been taught makes the learning process effective and worth everyone’s time.

Many students view school as something that has to be completed, not enjoyed. Students are no longer taking interest in learning, but memorize to retain information for a short period of time and forget it a few weeks later. Learning a new topic or skill should peak the interests of students to encourage them to . We at the Tower think learning should be something that is appreciated, not something that is rushed.

Especially during long weeks of sports and extracurriculars, classes can meld into one as students daydream about breaks or the weekend. If there are no interactive activities in a student’s day, going class to class taking notes and listening to a teacher talk about complicated subjects does not always excite students. Stimulating activities within the classroom are exceptionally beneficial to the enjoyment of learning. Not only the enjoyment or learning but also the long term retention of information.

We at the Tower see that education should be exciting and help students develop their critical thinking skills. The learning structure shouldn’t be something that harms a student’s future, but should help a student flourish.