Students gain first-hand accounts from college visits

Imran Siddiqui '20

Lots of colleges visiting Grosse Pointe South this month.

Imran Siddiqui '20, Supervising Copy Editor

From University of Maryland to Williams College, and from Boston University to Wooster College, South hosts more than 80 different college visits for its students, according to Liz Naporano.

Naporano, head of the College Resource Center (CRC), said these visits allow Blue Devils to learn more about possible colleges.

“Basically, an admissions representative from the school comes, and they talk to you about the application process, the academic programs they have and financial aid,” Lee Jackson ’19. “They really help you answer any questions you may have before applying to the school.”

Jackson has visited multiple visits through her junior and senior year, including New York University and University of Michigan. She recommends both grades to attend the presentations to best prepare for their future.

“I suggest that juniors and seniors go because that is the age group that you should really think about where you want to apply to or go to college,” Jackson said. “It’s really good, especially if your a junior, to start exploring your options. If your a seniors, it’s great because you are already applying, and this might answer any last-minute questions you have regarding the school before you finish the application.

The visits consist of a representative from the college giving a brief overview of the program followed by a question and answer session, according to Jackson. She said this allows for a more personal experience.

“(The admissions representative) really helped me decide what programs I want to pursue,” Jackson said. “They answered my questions regarding financial aid, and they discussed study abroad programs to me because that is something I am very interested in.

Joey Burgoyne ’20 also has taken part in the college visits offered at South. Agreeing with Jackson, he said that they give a new perspective to the college search that is very welcomed.

“I got to learn a lot about the college,” Burgoyne said. “I think it’s a lot different from personal research because you have an actual person and first hand account of the school. They can tell you more things about the school that you just can’t get from online.

Naporano stressed the importance of being professional during these meetings wit the representative from the specific college’s admissions office. She said students should not waste or misuse the privilege they have been given.

“Be on your best behavior,” Naporano said. “Treat it like an interview because these reps make decisions on your college admissions.”

Because of the impact that these encounters could have on the colleges, students should come to the meeting having already researched the school, according to Naporano. She said she has a list sample questions that students may pick up in the CRC. These range from popular majors, to tuition, to greek life.

“Definitely be prepared to have questions beforehand,” Jackson said. “I know some admissions representatives don’t like if you just sit there and stare at them. No matter where you are attending, there should always be some questions.”

Students should sign up for the visit on Naviance, according to Naporano. There are meetings throughout the school day, and the student is excused from class. Burgoyne said that missing a singular class was worth the visit to educate themselves about their future.

“The college visit was only during one class period,” Burgoyne said. “It was easy to make up the missed work.”

Naporano said that if a student is interested in a certain college they should definitely try to attend the visit to learn more. Attending a visit may give them the advantage in the eyes of the admissions representative.

“I think it certainly doesn’t hurt,” Naporano said. “The more times you get in their face, the better it is overall. They might take note of which students seem very interested.”