As the deadline approaches, remember to register to vote

Ian Dewey, Staff Writer

It has happened before.

Now a legal adult, many new voters go up to the ballots, ready to vote, but find that they cannot.

Why is this?

Due to incomplete or ill-worded advisement, many new voters have forgotten to register for the privilege of doing so.

As the the general elections approach on Nov 8, many seniors at South, having turned eighteen, now have the option to vote.

Whether it be for the Republican candidate, Donald Trump, the Democrat candidate Hillary Clinton or perhaps one of the independent candidates Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, everyone who possesses the desire to vote must remember to register before the deadline on Oct 11.

Before you waltz up to the ballot box on election day, be sure to go through the following procedure in order to ensure that you are registered to vote.

When you register for the vote in Michigan, you must be eligible in all four categories, in that you are: a U.S. citizen, eighteen years-old by election day, a resident of michigan, and a resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

Then, if you meet the criteria, you must fill out a voter registration application, which can be obtained at a Secretary of State branch office, the city clerk’s office, or a number of other state/national governed facilities.

Once the application is filled out, submit the application to the city clerk’s office.  In Grosse Pointe Farms, the city clerk (Derrick Kozicki) can be located in city hall on 90 Kerby Rd.  

The city clerk will then process your registration application; on completion of this process, you’ll receive a voter registration card.  Be sure to hang on to this; it tells you where to go to cast the ballot.

Once you have completed this registration process, you are now eligible to vote.

When you go to the ballots on Nov 8, remember to bring identification of some kind.

This identification can be a Michigan driver’s license, a regular ID (make sure to not confuse it for your fake ID, of course), a U.S. passport, a military ID, a student ID, or a Tribal identification card.

If you do not have any one of these documents, a state identification card can be purchased from a Secretary of State office for $10.