String Extravaganza unifies the Pointes through music

Dylan Schoenfeld '23, Web Editor

String Extravaganza, an orchestra concert held annually at South, drew in plenty of Grosse Pointe families to listen as the hard work students put into their instruments paid off. The concert took place on Dec. 19, and featured students ranging all the way from fifth to twelfth grade.

South strings conductor and teacher, James Gross, has been working to help immerse students in their music and help them further their pursuit in the hobby.

“It’s good for the fifth graders to hear the older students play because it inspires them to continue playing their instrument throughout middle and high school,” Gross said. “It’s also good for their parents to hear them play songs like ‘Hot Cross Buns’ so they can watch their children improve as they progress through their musical career.”

Violinist Sienna Clark ’23 played in her last String Extravaganza, considering her impending graduation. She has been playing the violin since she was 4-years-old and will be pursuing it somewhat in college.

“I don’t plan on majoring in music but I do hope to join a club orchestra so I can continue to play and make music in my free time,” Clark said. “Music is something I use to relax and find peace in my busy life.”

North student, Megan Robert ’23, enjoyed switching it up and playing with the South orchestra for a change.

“North and South students are often seen as rivals, so being able to come together to create one product together as one was really special,” Robert said.

Clark found this final String Extravaganza to be surprisingly sad, marking the end of an eight year era.

“This String Extravaganza was bittersweet because I’ve been playing in that concert since fifth grade,” Clark said. “I enjoyed sharing my love for music with the younger kids and hope they will learn to love it as much as I do.”