Adopt-A-Family fundraiser continues at South

Grace Wininger '23, Copy Editor

With fresh snow blanketing the houses of Grosse Pointe, it’s clear to see the Christmas season is finally here. And what better way to celebrate than by giving back to the community?
Starting on Monday, Nov. 29, South’s Student Association will continue their yearly Adopt-A-Family fundraiser, where classrooms can collect gifts and non-perishable foods to give to families within the Grosse Pointe area.
“Adopt-A-Family is a program that we’ve been doing for over 30 years,” Student Association adviser Micheal Rennell said. “We adopt needy families within our community, and we give them a good Christmas meal. We also try (to) find some presents for the kids.”
Collections will start after students return from Thanksgiving break, and continue through December 17. From there, Student Association members will pick up the donations and deliver them to the families personally.
“Students bring in money and a few people go shopping for the presents,” Student Association President Claire Blake ‘22 said. “And then usually everybody (will) bring in non-perishable foods with that, so we can give them that food along with a Kroger gift card that Student Association provides.”
But the gift of giving isn’t limited to South. Grosse PointeNorth is also participating in the Adopt-A-Family tradition, and each school will collect donations for the other’s side of Grosse Pointe.
“North and South have always participated in it,” Rennell said. “Usually, we (distribute) that way so families don’t feel awkward. South always works with the North-end families and North with the South-end families.”
Classrooms can decide their level of involvement, and begin collecting donations, Blake says. Based on the number of interested students and size of the class, teachers can select a fundraising option that works for them.
“(Classes) can choose to either Adopt a Family, where they can have their own family, and bring in all the gifts, or pair with another class and have everybody bring in money,” Blake said.
According to Ella Hugh ’25, fundraising for needy families is even more important after the past year of the pandemic.
“During (COVID-19) it was a lot harder for working parents to take care of their kids, especially the younger ones,” Hugh said. “It impaired people’s ability to go out and (make money).”
Hugh believes these Christmas fundraisers are essential for kids, as the last year has been incredibly difficult. Lots of kids have missed out on having fun because they’ve been stuck inside.
“It’s very important for kids to feel happier on the holidays and feel like they’re appreciated,” Hugh said. “Being a kid is difficult.”