The “Maine” idea of production

Lydia McNanney, Business Manager

After over a year of dealing with Covid-induced cancellations, the South theater department has wasted no time preparing for their annual fall play production.
This year’s show is Almost, Maine, and according to director Meaghan Dunham, it will be a special and exciting performance for actors who have missed out on theater through the pandemic.
“We’re so excited,” Dunman said. “I’ve got 40 kids who came out for auditions, and a crew of 20, and we’re just jumping back in.”
Almost, Maine is a play cut into nine separate short acts, and according to Dunham, is well known in the romantic-comedy genre, though she doesn’t believe its mainstream presence will take away from the stories.
“You are in a fictitious town in northern Maine called Almost,” Dunham said. “All of these little 10 minute vignettes happen at the same time, on the same night, on a beautiful starry evening in winter, and then they all culminate with a gorgeous display of the aurora borealis, or the Northern Lights.”
Due to the unconventional nature of the play, there are no true leads, which according to performer Lilly Hunwick ’23, has allowed more students to have a chance on the stage.
“A lot of people showed up for auditions because there are so many parts available,” Hunwick said. “Most of those people haven’t been in South productions before, so there’s a nice mix of new performers.”
This year’s production will include a score written and performed by students, and composer Abraham Neds-Fox ’22 says it’s something he has greatly enjoyed doing for the last few years.
“I have worked on music for Mrs. Dunham since freshman year when she enthusiastically let me compose for Why We Share Stories,” Neds-Fox said. “I kept coming back to ask, and thankfully she kept letting me do more.”
Almost, Maine will run on Nov. 18, 19 and 20 and tickets will likely be on sale in early November and at the door, Dunham said.
“It’ll be general seating in our auditorium, mainly with door sales due to Covid,” Dunham said.
According to Dunham, the performing arts have been struggling through the pandemic so it’s vital that people attend the play because they need the opportunities to demonstrate their skills for live audiences.
“I would encourage people to come and support these young people who are very excited to be back,” Dunham said. “We need to support the arts because we need that creativity and passion revived in not only the spirits of the young people, but also the spirits of those who used to attend these performances and haven’t been able to.”