Devils trump Chargers at Little Caesar’s Arena

The Blue Devil Unified Basketball team turned pro as they played on the Detroit Pistons’ Court at Little Caesar’s Arena on Tuesday, January 9 against the Churchill High School Chargers. The game ended 30-26 in favor of the Blue Devils.

Player, Donte Ormond ’26 had an impressive 10-point game. He electrified the crowd after every shot by waving his hands in the air, calling for more noise, and thriving when that noise arrived. The Blue Devil star prides himself on his ability to face up against any challenge, this game was merely a representation of that. His determination and energy are felt by his teammates, coaches, and everyone in the stands.

“I like to lock down the best players,” Ormand said. “It’s called dominance. I get down there and I score.”

In the fourth quarter, just as the Chargers looked to be getting back into the game, Ormand hit two clutch shots in a row to extend the Blue Devil lead. Despite the great individual performance, all of Ormond’s credits had to go to his teammates.

“We had both excellent defense and offense,” Player, Donte Ormond ’26 said. “I loved the way we played that game.”

Steven Zaranek, one of the coaches who was part of drawing up the Blue Devil’s dominant victory, has led the Unified Basketball team since its initial inception in 2019. Zaranek had worked closely with special education students before the start of the team, which is what inspired him to get involved.

“Working with our special needs kids is such a joy,” Zaranek said. “They have so much fun, and with all of the support they receive such as the recent school-wide clap out, they truly feel a part of the school.