Competition heats up at Science Olympiad

Jack Webber ’24
Jack Webber ‘24 and Shawn Coyle ‘24 sit in the stands waiting at the Science Olympiad tournament at Haslett High School.

The Science Olympiad team wrapped up another successful tournament this weekend, with many above eighth place finishes. South students are excited to be a part of this STEM club. Competing in events involving building a car or knowledge tests, South’s Science Olympiad team has been preparing for a long time.

Students like Adelina Parikh ’25 went up to East Lansing competing from 9-3 p.m. on Jan 27. The event offers a wide variety of different activities, it is up to these students to pick what best interests them. Preparing for schools like Northville and Novi, hosted at Salem, South finished with a couple of first-place finishes. As well as placing first in dynamic planet, and third place in detector building. This club provides the chance for kids to fully express their interests.

“The tournaments are really fun, it’s a lot less straightforward learning than you think it would be,” Parikh said. “I’ve been doing science olympiad since I was in eighth grade. It’s a great time and you can do really well and earn individual placements while also being a part of a team.”

Some students like Naya Azoury ’25 joined this club as an experience to be with friends and study science as well. The club offers a nice balance between academics and social activities. The most recent tournament held at Haslett High School resulted in many top-eight finishes from South.

“I like Science Olympiad because it’s a fun and non-stressful way to work on science. We get to take tests as a group with our friends and it’s not stressful at all in the way a school test is,” Azoury said. “I see it as a learning experience and a fun way to do science with your friends.”

The club is a way for students to bond with each other from other schools as well. Jack Webber ’24 said he looks at this as an opportunity to meet new people, it also involves one of his favorite interests which is engineering.

“The purpose of Science Olympiad is to make people think more about science technology engineering and math (STEM),” Webber said. “I like Science Olympiad because of the community. By the end of the year, everyone is close friends with each other.”