An uplifting send off to tip-off

A feeling of excitement, unity and inspiration among all the smiling faces schoolwide during the Unified Basketball clap out was all worth it all as they made their way to Little Caesars Arena Jan. 9 for their game. As the South community was brought together to cheer them off, a new kind of energy and support filled every inch of the halls.

Head coach and physical education teacher Kathy Smith said the smiles among everyone around her were infectious while seeing the whole school come together to uplift the team.

“The smiles were contagious through the hall, it was almost electric, the whole student body, staff and administration all came together,” Smith said. “It is just truly an amazing show of support.”

Student Andrew DiLodovico ’25 saw the clap out from the sidelines and thought this event gave the team a huge confidence boost and expressed how he thought that the players must have felt.

“I think that the clap out was a perfect way to boost morale for the team,” DiLodovico said. “I would imagine it made them feel ecstatic, just having your school support you is such a rewarding feeling.”

Smith expressed how experiencing the clap out affected her personally as she felt strong emotions walking through the halls. Additionally, Smith realized how heartfelt all of these friendships are.

“Until I hit the corner of the main hallway, is when it really set in for me emotionally,” Smith said. “I think it restored my faith in everyone and how kind and genuine these friendships are.

Player Ian Krieger ’24 expressed what an impact the clap out made for his performance at the later game. He said the support and excitement in the crowd made him feel invincible.

“The clap out made me feel like a superhero,” Krieger said.“I felt so great at the game, I got the winning basket.”