Film fanatics’ favorites

Alya Augspurger
Top left Emily Peacock, top right Brody Yeloushan, bottom left Dylan DeMarco, bottom right Chloe Slawson. Movie posters, IMDB

Chloe Slawson: Little Women
A classic movie focused on feminism, morality, and love are all key components of Film Literature student Chloe Slawson’s ’26 favorite movie, Little Women. Set in the mid-1800s, Little Women is a film that amplifies the success that is awarded to good work and patience, especially to women highlighted in the film.

“It’s just a sweet story,” Slawson said. “Each of the girls leads their own lives and does whatever they want to achieve everything they want. It’s inspirational to see how all the girls stay completely true to themselves”

Even though Slawson has enjoyed the movie for many years, being in Film Lit has opened her eyes to the true message of the film and helped her dive even deeper into the meaning behind the 2019 hit.

“The movie shows that you shouldn’t let anyone define who you are and what you deserve, and I think that’s a great message for girls everywhere,” Slawson said.

Dylan DeMarco: Babylon
After being immersed in the theatrical intricacies of The Grand Budapest Hotel in the class Film Literature, student Dylan DeMarco’s ’24 love for colorful and quality films was renewed, leading him to discover the fast-paced comedy that is Babylon.

“(Babylon) is a story about the integration of sound into early Hollywood,” DeMarco said. “Imagine Singing in the Rain, but pumped up a few notches. It’s a fast-paced mature film that tells an accurate story of Hollywood in the late 1920’s.”

In general, DeMarco tends to gravitate towards comedies and classic dramas like The Godfather and other films directed by Damien Chazelle, the director of Babylon. Chazelle’s style revolves around the “pursuit of greatness,” and how his characters individually rise and fall in Hollywood’s transitioning industry, similar to the plot of Babylon.

“I really enjoy comedy,” DeMarco said. “If something is funny, I’m probably watching it. They’re my favorite by far.”

Body Yeloushan: No Country for Old Men
Unlikely tendencies, plot twists, and violent occurrences all describe the stylistic film produced by the Coen Brothers in 2007. Film Literature student, Brody Yeloushan ’24, has taken an extreme interest in this movie style and the film, No Country for Old Men, individually. Being in Film Literature has showcased the variety of different styles and craftsmanship accessible in the movie industry, helping Yeloushan find his favorite films.

“I really enjoy being in Film Lit,” Yeloushan said. “Essentially we watch movies and then analyze them for their larger purposes. We learn about different types and techniques of film, as well as the film’s greater value.”

Yeloushan was drawn to how the film highlighted a man who valued justice, morality, and lawfulness against a world where younger men acted on their own codes and ethics. He admired the lessons taught and learned throughout the film.

Emily Peacock: Mad Max: Fury Road
Set in the future, on a lengthy road battle is a post-apocalyptic action movie: Mad Max: Fury Road. Exhibiting themes like survival of the fittest and loss of humanity, Mad Max: Fury Road became very appealing to Film Literature student Emily Peacock ’24.

“I like that every time I watch it, I learn something new,” Peacock said. “There is just constant action throughout the movie, there is truly never a dull moment. It’s definitely my favorite movie.”

Being in Film Lit has changed Peacock’s vision of the movie making it continuously more interesting. The class has improved her skills of comprehension and her overall perception of the film industry.

“In class, we analyze and watch a lot of cool movies,” Peacock said. “After being in class for a while I rewatched it and it was like I saw it through a new eye. It was even better than before.”