Rising waves

Boys swim meet showcases talent and determination in the pool

On Dec. 12, the Boys Swim and Dive team had their very first meet of the season. The first event of the meet was the Medley relay where South’s A relay took first place. Following this, in both the 200 free and 200 IM, South was able to pull off achieving first, second and third place over St. Clair High School.

In the 50 free, school history was made by Troy Liu ’24. After just making his return from Junior Nationals, Liu was able to not only break his personal record in the 50 free, but also break the school record. The previous school record was 21.02 seconds and Lui was able to swim a 20.88.

“It was a good first swim to have,” Liu said. “My goal for states is to drop down my time but I would be happy with anything.”

With the adrenaline still rushing after this incredible record being set by Lui, South continued to dominate the meet with Duncan Richards ’25 taking first in the 500 free along with Thomas Brieden ’25 taking first in the 50 breast.

“I believe I did pretty well because I got first in all my events,” Brieden said. “I am going to continue working hard to do well in my upcoming meets.”

South continued to dominate St. Clair taking first place in every event. To finish off the meet, the 400 free relay took both first and second. Coach John Fodell was extremely proud of his team and is going to continue to help the team grow and improve.

“It was a very good first meet; there are still things that we need to improve on. The back 50s of each 100 still have room to grow, speed will come to overtime,” Fodell said. “But it was extremely cool to see Troy beat the school record and watch two swimmers get their state cuts.”