Upperclassmen unleash creative flair in float-building frenzy

Sparta Seniors:
The class of ’24 has spent the last four weeks working tirelessly to make sure their Sparta-themed float is ready to lead them to success. The seniors are led by class advisor Shannon Sugamele, who believes they are in great shape to finish everything they have planned before homecoming arrives.

Since it’s their last year at South, the seniors are eager to build the best float possible to claim a victory before leaving for college. The Sparta Seniors theme was chosen in a landslide by the Student Council over multiple options.

Seniors Dailey Jogan and Brenna Goodman work on the float.

“It did win the majority by quite a bit,” Sugamele said.
Amidst all the Greek themes and inspiration on the float, posters, and banner, Sugamele was particularly enthusiastic about the initiative taken by everyone working on the homecoming preparations and how passionate they were.

“It’s kind of amazing to walk into a float party and see students working with machinery,” Sugamele said.“(They are) working without me hardly having to advise anything.”

Jurassic Juniors:
Meanwhile, the class of ’25 has also been hard at work to make all the competition go extinct with their Jurassic-themed float and banner. Class advisor Kendra Caralis remarked that the juniors have made steady progress in their preparations, and can’t wait to see how everything comes together. She particularly enjoyed observing the students using their knowledge from school to create

Aliana Ritter ’25 works on the banner. (Brian Foote ’24)

their archaic arrangement.
“I liked seeing them doing a volcano,” Caralis said. “They used a lot of math, so their math teacher should be happy about that.”
The class of ’25 seems to have a better chance of winning the Homecoming float competition than the dinosaurs had against that meteor, and if they do, it’ll be thanks to the hard work of everyone who participated in all the float parties and events that their archaic arrangement performed so well.