Annual Booster Club fundraiser ‘Run The Pointe’ continues for 14th year

Sara Dimitrijevic '25, Staff Writer

The 43rd Annual Run the Pointe is happening October 1, 2022. The run begins at 9 a.m., but it’s recommended to arrive 30-45 minutes prior to the run. Registration starts at 7 a.m. and the event will be located at Grosse Pointe South’s Track. The event will be a fun run or walk around the beautiful neighborhoods of South. Proceeds will be donated to benefit the student-athletes of South, funding uniforms, equipment, facility upgrades, training and scholarships.

Boys cross-country and track coach, Mark Sonnenburg, said 100 percent of the registration fee goes to whatever program the buyer chooses. This event is a major fundraiser for all of South’s athletic teams, and the event has expanded in recent years due to the increase of community participation. because of more and more of the community joining the run and donating to the sports department.

“It’s very much a community event, not just sports programs,” Sonnenberg said. “The more people run, the more money we get to use (for the team).”

If participants aren’t sure which sport to donate to, they’re still welcome to join in on the event.

“Even if you check no boxes, the money you pay for the fundraiser will be distributed equally,” John Van Syckle, director of Run-the-Pointe said.

The race will start and finish on the Grosse Pointe South High School stadium track. The course takes participants down Kercheval until Vendome, where volunteers with water cups will be waiting. From there, competitors will continue to Grosse Pointe Blvd, and then on to the South track where the 5k route ends. There are various distance modifications to accommodate participants of all abilities and skill levels.

“You don’t have to be some record breaking runner,” Sonnenberg said. “You’re welcome to walk as well. It’s important to know how much you can run, and participate. Making sure you’re having fun as well as just getting a nice little jog in.”

Though some find see the fundraiser as a light morning jog, people like Adelina Parikh ’25 are taking it seriously. Parikh is a part of the girls cross-country team, who plan to race the event,. looking for a new best time.

“We have to do the run for our sport, and it’s (considered) a cross country meet,” Parikh said.

Family members are also welcome to participate with their children in the run. Savannah Spangler ’25 hopes to convince her loved ones to run alongside her.

“I’m going to ask my sister to run because she’s interested in cross country,” Spangler said. “I also asked my friends to come.”

Although many good things come from participating in the race, there are also some difficulties. One of the main organizers, John Van Syckle, is grateful for the participation from the community, though that doesn’t mean the planning process was without difficulty. Van Syckle relied heavily on volunteers, which included parents, NHS members, or other service club participants.

“The biggest challenge was finding student volunteers to participate,” Van Syckle said. “It was difficult to find students to help out with the race who weren’t already running in the race.”