Steve Lacy’s Gemini Rights eclipses all expectations

Noelle Whorf '23, Copy Editor

Amidst an influx of summer album releases, Steve Lacy has managed to light up his side of the stage with his sophomore album, Gemini Rights.

The breakout success of this project is a pivotal moment in Lacy’s career, which can be largely attributed to the popularity of Bad Habit. This song has quickly taken over platforms like TikTok, so it’s safe to say that Lacy has stopped the internet in its tracks.
As for my interpretation of the album, I see it as a story told chronologically, best when listened to in its entirety. The tracklist consists of ten songs, all sonically unique but somehow cohesive as a unit.

Lacy kicks off the project with Static, expressing frustration towards his previous relationship. In track three, ‘Buttons,’ he eases up to the idea of loving this person again and the excitement it brings him.

Towards track seven, Amber, Lacy goes through the cyclical motions of heartbreak once more, only to counter himself by the final track, Give You The World. He offers himself to the same love interest, saying “I’m gonna love you like you were new,” and closes the album in hopeful spirit.

One of my favorites on the track-list is track two, Helmet. The lyrics juxtapose upbeat instrumentals, as Lacy sings about overbearing love that he is unable to reciprocate.

“I tried my best to be worth all your while, you just gotta let me go as I’m tryna let go of you” is Lacy’s way of admitting defeat, no longer capable of being himself and being in this relationship simultaneously.
Another favorite of mine is Amber. In this song, Lacy exhibits a different kind of resentment towards this love interest–not for the affliction they’ve caused him, but for the fact that he can’t stop thinking about them despite their chaotic history.

Upon repeated listens, I came to appreciate Lacy’s unapologetic honesty. Even if you can’t relate to his stories, the album is certainly worth listening to for its catchiness and Lacy’s impressive melodic range. For that, I appraise Gemini Rights with five out of five stars.