Having a senior year in quarantine

Chamiraju on her visit to Cornell University this past year, where she will be attending college.

Navya Chamiraju '20

Navya Charmiraju '20, News Manager

With our futures uncertain and a pandemic that has yet to calm down, these are very difficult times. In the past few weeks, a lot of my friends have gotten their college decisions and a lot of us are picking our home for the next four years. Usually, we would be able to see each other and celebrate the good and the bad news and be there for each other when we answer the question: where are you going to college? With decision day less than a month away, students would usually wear their school shirt and represent it loud and proud through the halls of South. But, this year the seniors do not get that experience. Instead, we are left with text messages and Facetime calls.

During these difficult and testing times, it is important to still have each others’ backs and to be there through important moments at the end of our senior year. We have to cherish the moments we can make even if it is only through a screen. Time in quarantine has only helped me value my friends and family more than before and has brought me more excitement for the fall and the next four years of my life.

In the past few weeks, I have Facetimed multiple friends and sat with them while they opened their college decisions and cried because of good or bad news. Even if it was only through Facetime, I tried my best to stay with them during these tough moments and to be a friend. Technology can be so isolating but in our current circumstances, it has helped bring us closer to our community and friends.

This seemingly abrupt ending was not how I expected my senior year to pan out, but I do believe even through these trying and sad times we can become closer to the people we love and prioritize what is important and take time for ourselves before (at least for me and all the other seniors) we move on to the next chapter of lives.