Junior varsity softball gains another win to stay undefeated

In a rare tight game against the Regina Junior Varsity Saddlelites, the Junior Varsity Blue Devils provided a crucial comeback during the middle of the game to keep their undefeated streak for the season alive.

Although the Blue Devils won against this team in their Anchor Bay tournament in the previous week, Regina was still ready to battle this game. The Junior Varsity head coach Molly Clexton said they felt confident for this game because they already got to see the pitcher.

“We saw this team in our tournament last Saturday and beat them 10-0, so we knew the pitcher was hitable and our defense would be strong,” Clexton said.

Clexton said having to make a comeback is infrequent for their team due to their strong offense, and having the task to do so puts them in a tough position, but definitely not out of the question when they were down 0-1 after the third inning.

“We’re used to jumping ahead with our bats often and early,” Clexton said. “So working on coming back is not something we are entirely used to, but we have done it before.”

Starting shortstop Kate Kalmink ’27, who slammed a triple in the sixth inning, said the energy and team chemistry built up inside the dugout during the fourth inning when they scored three runs, which really drove to their win as well as key hits during the game.

“After Izzy Romolino hit a single driving in one run for us to take the lead everybody got hype and we kept hitting,” Kalmink said. “Then our energy in the dugout was really high and everybody was cheering loud while we were up to bat.”

South player Bella Dodson ’26 said the game kept her invested throughout the whole time due to the game being so tight, but once the Blue Devils started hitting in the tail end of the game she saw no doubt in their victory.

“This game is one of their first close games so I was not sure how they were going to handle it,” Dodson said. “But once they took the lead in the fourth and fifth inning I knew there was no stopping them from here.”
Clexton was proud of the full team effort of the game and was satisfied with the outcome of the 4-1 win against Regina to improve their record to 22-0 for the season.

“We played well defensively even though there were a couple bloopers, but other than that we played great,” Clexton said. “The energy and talking in the field was at a high which ultimately led us to stay undefeated.”