Junior shares tips for Freshmen to enjoy Spirit Day

Photo by Connor Gillooly ’14 | Staff Writer. A Freshmen poster hangs in the side hallway.

By Emily Mlynarek ’14 | Staff Writer

For Freshmen, Homecoming Week is a new, fun experience. As this is your first Homecoming, it’s impossible to know what to expect, so here are some ground rules:

First of all, wear the Fiesta Freshman shirt on Wednesday, and Wednesday only. You don’t want to be that one person wearing it all week and you don’t want to be the only one not wearing it on Freshmen Spirit Day. Wear this shirt for Friday’s parade as well. Remember, the more Freshmen dress up, the more points the judges will award your class!

Don’t be afraid to go all out! There are very few days when dressing crazy to school is socially acceptable and this is one of them, and it’s always funny when guys dress as girls. Some teachers even offer extra credit for representing your class!

Second, arrive at school at least 45 minutes early on Wednesday morning. You will want to be in the class picture on the front lawn and march through the hallways with your class at 7:30.

Don’t volunteer to babysit the rock all Tuesday night. If you already have, volunteer with friends and not for more than a few hours. Besides, in the past, other classes have been too worried about losing points to deface the Freshmen’s work.

Make sure to look at the posters and showcase in the main hallway and don’t forget to look at the rock on Fisher and the Freshman banner on the front of South.  Your classmates have dedicated a lot of time to spirit week, so make sure you recognize their hard work.

Don’t forget about schoolwork this week. Most teachers try to lessen the workload during Homecoming Week, but be sure to set aside time to study.

On the other hand, this is not the most crucial week of the school year, there is no need to stress out if you lose an hour or two of sleep to come to school early.

Seniors are insane on Senior Spirit Day. Avoid the Senior hallway at all costs because there is a high possibility that you will be glittered. If so, don’t be too upset. It happens to the best of us.

On Friday, Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors wear their yellow Homecoming shirts. Again, do not wear this shirt to school before Friday. Remember to change into your class shirts for the parade Friday evening and meet in the Maire parking lot at 5 p.m.

Students and teachers meet after seventh hour in the gymnasium for Friday’s pep assembly. This is a very fun and exciting event, so make sure you’re present!

Homecoming week is fun! Remember that nobody is too cool for school spirit. This is not a week that you will want to miss out on.

You’re only freshmen once, so have a Fiesta!