A sea of red white and blue

American flags cover lawn on 11th anniversary of 9/11

Photo by T.A. Keating 13| Executive Web Editor. Nearly 3,000 flags were put on the lawn Monday afternoon.

Photo by T.A. Keating ’13| Executive Web Editor. Nearly 3,000 flags were put on the lawn Monday afternoon.

Emily Mlynarek ’14 | Staff Writer

Exactly 2, 977 American flags will fly on South’s front lawn Tuesday, each representing a life lost to the September 11th terrorist attacks.

“The 11th anniversary of 9/11 will be one South’s students and faculty have never experienced, and hopefully never forget,” said Young American’s for Freedom (YAF) chairman Langston Bowens ‘13.

This summer, South’s YAF chapter collected about 3,000 small American flags. About 65 students volunteered to place the flags on South’s front lawn Monday evening and Tuesday morning, Bowens said.

“We have to never forget what was done to our nation on that day, never forget the lives lost; and remember that we need to protect ourselves from attacks like this,” said Bowens.

Although YAF is a conservative club, this particular project is not politically influenced, Bowens said.

“This is about unity throughout our school and country,” said Principal Dr. Matt Outlaw.

The purpose of this project is to raise awareness of 9/11 to students, YAF Vice President Stephanie Holder ’13 said.

“We are coming from a generation that did not experience 9/11,” said Bowens. “The Freshmen and Sophomore Classes have only heard stories of 9/11, so for them the date means only what they have been told about it.”

Although awareness is beneficial, it is important that lessons regarding 9/11 should be done inside the classroom, Outlaw said.

Also in honor of 9/11, members of South’s band will be playing ‘Taps’ and Outlaw will give a scripted announcement.

“Every school across the nation is most likely doing some sort of memorial to honor this holiday, and we are taking part in it,” said Outlaw.

Bowens says that for the most part, students have been impressed YAF was able to organize this project over the summer and want to get involved.

Anyone is welcome to come help set up and clean up flags, Holder said. Since there are almost three thousand flags, it will take a large group effort, Holder said.

“I hope that everyone will be appreciative of this because it is very important and it took a lot of time and hard work,” said Holder. “Hopefully, everyone respects why we (YAF) are doing this and the issue that it addressing.”