North-South rivalry takes to the ice, blue devils win 8-1

Emily Colen '23, Staff Writer

DOMINATING DEFENSE Defensive player Harry Wright ’23 successfully scores South’s sixth goal of the night. (Emily Colen ’23)

On Dec. 16, the Mccann Ice Arena hosted a high school rivalry matchup between Grosse Pointe South and North. On the frigid ice rink, South’s Varsity Boys Hockey team brought the heat, winning 8-1 against their longtime rival Grosse Pointe North.

Within the first period, Hayden Crane ’24 and Harry Wright ’23 each scored one goal. Cheers from South students and parents erupted in the stands. However, in the last ten seconds, North scored, ending the first period with a score of 2-1.

Within the second and third periods, a combination of grit and determination among South’s players resulted in them scoring six more goals, ultimately reaping the reward of defeating North. Defensemen Harry Wright ‘23 helped the boy’s hockey team in the significant goal increase, scoring a total of three goals overall. The second-highest scorer was forward Hayden Crane ’24, who scored a total of two goals.

Crane says that while he was proud of the win against North, he has gained insight into the improvements the team needs to achieve in their forthcoming games.

“I was happy with the outcome but not with how we started,” Crane said.

“I think it is important that moving forward, we start fast in the first and second periods of our games.”

WINGER AND RINGER Right winger Billy Rauh ’23 cycles the puck as his teammates set up to make a goal. (Emily Colen ’23)

Defenseman Drew Brady ’24 believes that leadership also plays a large role in the fundamentals of winning.

“The leadership has been great and is a big part of our success,” Brady said. “It was especially good against the North because of the rivalry.”

Playing an important leadership role, team captain Billy Rauh ’23 expresses that his expectation for the season is to advance the team to the state championship. To accomplish this goal, he believes that tactics such as shots on the net and aggressive forechecking will benefit the success of the team this season.

“Overall, this was a good team win and we just gotta keep rolling,” Rauh said. “It is important that we continue to work hard in practice, stay focused and locked in on the goal.”