Tim Klepp petitions for School Board vote recount

Josh Sonnenberg '25, Graphics Editor

Tim Klepp poses for a photo on the Grosse Pointe South High School campus. Courtesy of Tim Klepp.

In the Grosse Pointe Nov. 8 School Board election, candidate Timothy Klepp lost to his opponent Ginny Jeup by only 14 votes. In a recent statement from Klepp on Facebook, he announced his petition for a recount of votes.

“With a margin this thin, I feel compelled to ensure that every vote is counted as it was intended,” Klepp said.

Klepp was in fourth place in the election, just behind his opposing candidate, Jeup. Jeup responded to Klepp’s Facebook message with a rebuttal of her own about the price of the recount, and who or what in Grosse Pointe would pay for it.

“This recount will be charged to all of us,” Jeup said. “We get to pay for his inability to accept that he lost this election.”

Regardless, the board of Wayne county voted 4-0 in favor of Klepp for his recount, despite Jeup and Sean Cotton, and an additional member of the Board opposed to the recount, attempting to block his request.

“I don’t get to demand a recount,” Klepp said. “I got to request that [the] petition [would be] heard in a formal hearing.”

However, the issue of who or what would pay for the recount remained. Klepp still retains the right to request the recount if the count of votes ended up at 0.5 percent less than his opponent, but even to superintendent Jon Dean, whether the school district, the city, or Klepp himself would pay for the count was uncertain.

In Dean’s career as an administrator, no candidate has ever requested a recount, or had a vote this close. Moreover, the Wayne County election offices and the state’s district attorney were vague in their statements.

“Our district attorney…is of the opinion that the District should be charged the difference between its costs of conducting the recount, and the amount it has required to be deposited,” Dean said.

Not only were the directions vague, but the actual cost for a recount is still unknown.

“(I believe) the cost is $250 per district,” Klepp explained.

That said, Klepp still decided to raise funds for the recount himself, rather than having either the city or the school district itself pay for it instead.

“I would gladly remit any costs I have to the school district,” Klepp said. “There is a fee required by a candidate, and I have paid that fee.”

Even so, Klepp still believes in Grosse Pointe’s election, but just wants to know the actual results.

“I place great confidence in our system, (but) somebody (could) have made a stray mark on the board,” Klepp said.