Early season battle shows soccer team’s metal

Margot Murphy '23, Associate Web Editor in Chief

Under the Harvest Moon, the Varsity Boys Soccer Team scored a 2-1 victory against town rival, North, in front of the boisterous Blue Devil student body.

On Friday, Sept. 9, Devil’s Den and the Blue Devil student body came together to support the team for their sixth game of the season on their home turf. This was Devil’s Den member Victoria Vorhee’s ’23 first time on the field, and despite not being able to rush the field, she is extremely proud of the crowd and the team.

“It’s [the game] against North,” Vorhees said. “That makes it an ultra big deal since it’s our hometown rival. The team was great and I really encourage everyone to go to the games and get involved.”

However, the game was not an easy victory. After Lucas Frye ’23, assisted by Onction Zape ’25, scored a goal in the first half, a battle of offense was incited amongst the opposing teams.

“The spirit was very good and we were missing our captain Spero, but I think the boys played hard for him,” Head Coach Francesco Cilano said.

With 16 minutes left in the game, North had managed to tie the game 1-1. However, South continued to play smart and made strategic throw-ins and corner kicks until Evan Brown ’23 scored the winning goal, ending the win for the Blue Devils.

“I feel fantastic,” varsity player Henry Fish ’23 said. “Being on the field, celebrating with the team, and beating North too, it never gets better than this.”

After going to regionals for four years in a row, both Cilano and Assistant Coach Max Canevari celebrate this victory and agree that, although this is a new team, the boys will be ready for districts.

“We take the atmosphere and positivity and support with us whe

n we play,” Cilano said. “The boys love it.”