Dating in high school

Jane Van Syckle '23, Staff Writer

Relationships in high school can be seen as a goal to many. Most teens will have their first relationship within these four years, an experience that is exciting and new. But why are relationships so serious at such a young age?
Social media, television, and the outside world play a big role in these relationships. Movies like “10 Things I hate about you” and “The Notebook” come to mind. Both centered around young couples, these classic rom-coms exemplify unrealistic expectations that are set in our minds to be the “perfect relationship”. You may ask, “Why are these expectations so unrealistic, though?”. The events portrayed in the films are written specifically to be so romantic and “swoon-worthy” that the audience falls in love with the relationship of the characters, wanting a story just like theirs. Teenagers’ brains are not fully developed during high school, and even college. Many teens are not mature enough to maintain a real relationship that meets the expectations seen in films and on TV. So, when expectations do not meet reality, many feel disappointment.
The amount of time and work put into a relationship is also something that not everyone is equipped for at ages 14-17. Relationships can distract students from schoolwork and sports. Often unnecessary drama is brought up for no reason. In the moment, the connection between you and your significant other feels like the most important thing in the world, perhaps more important than your years beyond high school. According to mensdivorce.com, only 2 percent of marriages are from high school relationships. So, though the future of the relationship feels like it means more than anything, it is wise to focus on schoolwork and things that will do you well in years to come.