New athletic director approved at board meeting

Patrick Koeppen, Web Editor

The Grosse Pointe Public School Board approved the hiring of a new Athletic Director for Grosse Pointe South High School. The new director is coming to replace Chris Booth, who resigned from AD this year. Booth plans to leave at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 school year.

His replacement, Brandon Wheeler, is a staff member at Leland Public Schools in Leland Michigan and will take Booth’s spot at the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year. Wheeler taught social studies and English for 7 years at Leland and Mason Public Schools. He won two state championships as coach of the soccer teams in both districts and was the head of many school clubs. Wheeler will also take on the assistant principal position at South, which was also formerly held by Chris Booth. Wheeler’s optimism for the new start gives confidence in the South athletic department.

“I hope to be of meaningful service to you, our students, and the Grosse Pointe community for many years to come,” Wheeler said in his first statements to the GPPSS.

Wheeler said he was humbled by getting the position as athletic director. He also had a child in early April, and was married in 2020 in February. Wheeler said he hopes to work closely with the community, and he wants to be of meaningful service to Grosse Pointe South. Wheeler’s high hopes are a very good sign of what is to come for South’s athletic department and school under his leadership.

“The district’s confidence in me and your support has been truly humbling,” Wheeler said in his statement. “ I am eager to begin working on behalf of the students and families who have enjoyed a long tradition of educational and athletic excellence here in Grosse Pointe.”