Adopt-a-family adapts to online learning

Tara Cole '21, Media Manager

Adopt-a-Family, an annual tradition at both North and South, is in the process of spreading joy and holiday spirit in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both schools’ Student Associations (SA) are collecting money to donate to families around the district who are in need.

“(Adopt-a-Family) is a little different this year because we usually take the money raised and have students go buy gifts, but this year we are giving the money directly to the families,” South SA Secretary Zoe Schantz ’21 said.

According to Schantz, another major difference this year is that donations are made by individuals, rather than classes as a whole.

“We are no longer taking donations from third-hour classes and instead are collecting monetary donations from anyone who would like to contribute,” Schantz said.

The biggest challenge SA is facing this year is the means of payment and holding students accountable, according to South SA Vice President Audrey Becker ’21.

“It is much easier to ensure participation when you are face-to-face, but trying to reach out to so many people that feel disconnected has been difficult,” Becker said.

However, Becker noted SA leadership has been able to create a successful advertising campaign via social media.

“This year we are using a Venmo Bingo on Instagram, which has created a fun and easy incentive to donate, whether it be $1 or $5,” Becker said.

According to Adopt-a-Family committee co-chair Peyton Lancaster ’21, the donations to the families will end on Dec. 18.

“Once all donations have been collected, the money will be distributed amongst the families in the form of gift cards,” Lancaster said.

According to Schantz, North and South have amassed a combined 65 families in the program.

“The fact that we’re able to assist 65 different families in our community and help them celebrate the holidays worry-free is a heartwarming feeling,” Schantz said. “I’d recommend getting involved in any way, shape or form.”