5 things you may have missed this week

Becca Koch ’22, Staff Writer

1. Detroit testing for all essential workers

The State of Michigan will begin to test all essential workers such as grocery store clerks and first responders for coronavirus regardless of symptoms according to Michigan Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun. This announcement came on April 20, as Michigan grapples with one of the highest death tolls from the virus in the nation. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan also announced the city’s commitment to testing in a press conference on April 17.

2. Right to an education for everyone

A federal court ruled in a case on April 23 against the State of Michigan that basic education is a fundamental right. The case, which was brought forth by present and former students of Detroit schools in 2016, alleged dismal conditions of schools, inadequate materials like textbooks and illiteracy at unprecedented rates. In his opinion, Sixth Circuit Court Judge Eric Clay sided with the students. “Access to a foundational level of literacy is so central to our political and social system,” Clay said.

Statistics from Business Insider

3. Unemployment claims on the rise across nation

With COVID-19 affecting some of America’s largest employers like the restaurant and tourism industries, unprecedented numbers of Americans are filing for unemployment benefits. For the fifth consecutive week, unemployment claims have increased, bringing the total up to over 26 million. Those filing for unemployment benefits have faced a variety of challenges as the system is overloaded by claims. Congress has also passed an almost $500 billion stimulus bill to help small businesses and hospitals in addition to the $2 trillion stimulus package passed in March.

4. No more hospitalizations in Wuhan

The Chinese government announced there were no hospitalized coronavirus patients in Wuhan on April 26. Wuhan was the epicenter at the beginning of the disease and is home to 11 million people. This is a part of the long-awaited reopening of the city including the lifting of a mandatory lockdown on April 8 that was put into effect in late January. While the official death toll for the city stands at 4,632, there has been controversy over the number of confirmed cases from the Chinese government. Some estimate that the infection rate and death toll are much higher than reported.

5. GPPSS school board pushes forward

The GPPSS Board of Education is continuing on with reconfiguration plans despite the impact of COVID-19. Meeting over livestream due to social distancing, on April 13, the Board approved two elementary school principals for the 2020-2021 school year. The district has sent out more than 120 different teaching assignments for teachers from Young 5’s to 5th grade, according to Deputy Superintendent John Dean. Dean claimed a positive response to the assignments, due to the fact that “closer to 98 percent of teachers got their first choice.”