Stocks app gives look into real world

Stock tracker as shown April 6. Students have been using MarketSim to practice trading stocks without using real money.

Keegan Spitz '20, Staff Writer

Many apps today simulate real world problems or scenarios, with people using them for many reasons, from entertainment to gaining knowledge. Simulation stock market apps have taken South’s student body by storm, allowing students to make virtual money with real stocks in real time.
Students are using an app called MarketSim frequently. The app allows them to feel like they are truly indulging themselves in the stock market, Charlie Rulison ’21 said, without actually spending their own money.
“MarketSim is basically a simulator that lets you buy and sell stocks in real time,” Rulison said. “You are not actually buying anything or spending money. You are buying fake stocks, but it is reflective of the real market.”
The reason for using the app varies depending on the student, according to Miles Jamieson ’20, and he said he uses it to gain experience for when he begins using his own money.
“I do it to gain more knowledge about the stock market,” Jamieson said. “I think if I research as much as possible, it can only help me in the long run when I start to invest myself with real money.”
P.K. Nugent ’20 said he uses the app for similar reasons, but also because his potential career path may involve the stock market.
“I do it because I want to learn to learn how the stock market works so I can do it with real money in the future,” Nugent said. “I am also looking into careers involving the stock market, so prior experience will be helpful.”
Rulison said he uses the app for fun and to see how much virtual money he can make.
“I use the app to see how much money I can make or lose, as if I was actually competing in the stock market,” Rulison said. “It is an easy way to join the market for fun.”
Although students are technically participating with the app on a 24/7 basis and could check on their stocks at any given time, Nugent said it does not interfere with school.
“It has not interfered with class time enough to cause any disruptions in learning,” Nugent said. “You do have to check on the market often, though, because of how frequently it fluctuates.”
Jamieson said the app is tailored to the individual, allowing him to have better conversations with his dad in regards to the stock market.
“My dad and I have conversations about certain things that would be good to invest in, whether that be short term or long term investments,” Jamieson said. “I do as much research as possible so I can have the most knowledge because of how important these topics really are.”