Recruitment effects and disappointment

Matthew Kornmeier '21, Sports Manager

MHSAA postponed all spring sports until April 6. At South this means until the following week, April 13, since spring break is scheduled for the week of the sixth.

This news carries serious disappointment for spring athletes, especially seniors, according to varsity track athlete Halden Stoehr ‘20.

Stoehr has been training all winter, along with many other boys on the team, for his last track season.

“I am really annoyed that the virus is ruining the season because this was the year I wanted to go all-state and I have been working really hard to achieve that since it is my last time running,” Stoehr said. “I have been doing this all of middle school and high school and it is definitely a big part of me.”

Varsity soccer captain Hannah Ottaway ‘20 agrees and understands that this will be a detriment to girls on the team trying to play in college and the overall skill level of the team.

“I am sad our season is postponed, especially it being my senior year and being a captain this year was the year I was looking forward to the most,” Ottaway said. “Even if we are able to continue our season in April, we’re going to be left with only about a month of soccer, which means we will only be able to have half the pasta parties and team bonding experiences.”

Varsity Lacrosse Coach Justin Macksoud said that this postponement will definitely affect college recruiting not only for some seniors but for sophomores and juniors as well.

“We have an extremely talented junior class with more than a few players looking at big time college programs, not being able to play this season and get themselves on tape for the college coaches hurts them a lot,” Macksoud said. “If they’re truly serious about playing at the next level, then they will be forced to hit the road like a politician seeking re-election and get out as much as possible to play in front of every coach they can.”

According to Macksoud, the postponement will put his team out of six games, amounting to one third of the total games in a season lost. This will not affect the game schedule that badly, according to Macksoud, especially if spring break is canceled and they are able to schedule games for the week of April 6.

“It would be like a “normal season”, just no real preseason to practice before the games,” Macksoud said, “Unfortunately, I just don’t see us having a season if the deadline is pushed back any further than April 6.”

Although disappointed with the pause put on his track season, Stoehr believes that the actions taken are for good reason.

“I think the precautions that have been taken are necessary because on the track team we have over 100 kids, and having that many people in a room changing for practice and together all the time could be dangerous with this virus,” Stoehr said. “I just want everyone to take the necessary precautions so that we can get back to a good season, and if we do everyone can be healthy and win.”

Ottaway initially disagreed with the action to postpone the season, but now agrees and understands why.

“If we’re not in school it makes sense that sports teams would not be practicing or playing games either,” Ottaway said.

Macksoud said he is disappointed by all the complications this lacrosse season but understands the whole country is experiencing the same problems.

“The one thing to remember is, we’re not alone,” Macksoud said. ”Every lacrosse player and athlete in the country is dealing with the same thing.”