District offers tech pick up to aid remote learning

Graphic by Eva McCord ’21.

Just-Us Welch '20, Copy Editor

The closure of all K-12 Michigan schools was the beginning of many adjustments for students around the district. For some, the switch to remote-learning is just a little uncomfortable but for some, it opens a new host of barriers especially for families who have limited access to technology.

The Grosse Pointe Public School System hosted two “Tech Pick Up” days where students could borrow Chromebooks to make online schooling more accessible. Community Relations Specialist Rebecca Fannon understands the difficulty remote-learning can pose for students and is impressed with how everyone is adjusting.

“(Remote-learning) typically takes about a year to plan and repeated professional development to go onto an online platform, and our teachers only had one day of professional development and then hit the ground running,” Fannon said.

According to Fannon, parents have been overwhelmingly receptive to using Schoology and other methods of online learning and have reached out to express their concerns about technology accessibility.

“We set up several different times where families can check out devices from the district, most of those being Chromebooks,” Fannon said.

Many of the teachers have been informed of this potential technology barrier and have made their lessons so they can accommodate any device that can access the internet- whether it is a smartphone or computer.

“We’ve also distributed information about how to obtain reduced priced and free internet access at home through companies like Comcast,” Fannon said.

Fannon reports over 700 devices were checked out across the district. Many of these families reported they had a few devices at home, but with their entire home demanding internet access at once, they found it necessary to check out an additional device as needed.

“In my household, we have four boys. My husband and I both work and have always had enough devices to juggle, but when all of us are at home, we realized we really need one more device,” Fannon said.

Mothers like Katie Fossee are grateful for the measures GPPSS is taking to ensure students of all ages can access technology at home.

“I think (the district is) doing the best they can,” Fosse said. “Nobody really knows what to do. It’s uncharted waters.”

The rapid switch to remote learning does leave many parents anxious about the future, especially parents of younger students according to Fosse.

“I saw it coming and would not be surprised if it was through the fall,” Fosse said. “We’re all in the same boat so we just have to take it one day at a time.”

Counselor Aja Perales values the concerns of staff and families and encourages everyone to remember to prioritize their mental and physical health as well as academics.

“By listening to your body, you’ll find that all of us follow different rhythms to find the way that works best for you to learn,” Perales said.

Perales understands that this time may be more difficult for students who have special needs and require more academic help and encourages families to reach out to teachers for help.

“(Families) can contact teachers through their office hours where they are available to video chat with students if they need more clarification on assignments,” Perales said. “There are also free online tutoring services through the library’s website.”