Underutilized, underappreciated: A look at teachers who come in early

Marcus Boddy '20, Staff Writer

Students have developed many different methods to succeed in class and in school– from studying to working with peers, there is something for everyone. Yet there is another underutilized tool students can use– teachers who come in early before school to help students such as Nico Kosmas ’20.

“When I come in early, I have everything planned out and it is a good way to start the day,” Kosmas said. “That extra hour of organization really helps and the extra practice for difficult subjects can be really helpful, especially with other students and teachers nearby willing to help.”

According to Kosmas, coming to school early is a way of getting his thoughts organized and ready for the day, and it makes him feel focused and prepared.

“I find it useful to get all my homework organized and make sure I have everything done and fully completed,” Kosmas said. “Coming in before school also helps me get into the school mindset for the day and get a snack.”

Making time with teachers outside of the regularly scheduled class hour can be a big deal, and according to economics teacher Bill Cayo, it’s a benefit for students to have access to their students and instructors.

“I know that the after school hours are often consumed with clubs and sports,” Cayo said. “The morning ends up being a convenient time where students and teachers get together.”

According to Cayo, there is a visible difference in the performance of students who make time to show up before class and those who do not.

“A lot of students do not take advantage of these opportunities,” Cayo said. “But the ones that do and are willing to come in early are obviously motivated to do the work, and I think that motivation combined with the extra help that allows them to achieve their goals.”

Cayo is not the only teacher to share this view, and according to math teacher Alan Vassel, being open before school works similarly to office hours in college.

“My personal belief is, especially in math where students are going to need extra time and attention, I think it’s similar to office hours in college,” Vassel said. “I feel like there should be some period of time where any student can come in and get some extra assistance.”

The early hours before school also help teachers like Vassel, who said that he appreciates the time he gets to prepare for his own day and help students achieve better levels of performance.

“I definitely see a difference in the performance of students who come in early,” Vassel said. “Especially for students who are struggling, maybe missed a quiz, it can be important to take 15 minutes before school to sit down and look it over and sort out those common mistakes before the next quiz can make all the difference.”