Young, depth-oriented girls’ swim eyes states

Kyle Harrison '22

Victoria Gardey '20, Online Editor in Chief

The team meets and cheers before their meet on Sept. 11. Photo by Keely Messacar ’21.

Moving into the end of their season, the girl’s swim team is working as hard as ever to qualify more swimmers to the state finals.

With ten swimmers qualified with state-cut times right now, the team hopes to add even more at the MAC Red division championship the weekend of Nov. 9, according to assistant coach Bill Thompson.

“We are most proud of how hard the girls have worked this season,” Thompson said. “Swimming is a very difficult sport and the team has come together to support each other through the tough workouts and swim meets.” 

According to Thomson and co-captain Emma Burke ’20 the highlight of the season so far as been the team’s trip to Chicago for a meet.

“The girls had a great team bonding experience and swam a great meet against one of the better teams in Illinois,” Thompson said.

With over 50 members, the team is large, yet still close-knight, according to Burke.

“Everyone bonded really well in Chicago,” Burke said. “We are very family-like.”

The team consists of a lot of freshmen and sophomores, according to Hayden Barry ’21, but the team sees this as a strength.

“I think this year’s freshmen are a really good addition to the team. They all seem to be really into the season,” Barry said. “They have a lot of team spirit which is really nice.”

According to Barry, who has two state-cut times this season, the team’s relays this year are much stronger than last year.

“I was sick at the beginning of the season so I didn’t get my state cuts as early this year,” Barry said. “When I finally got them it was like so much weight off of my chest.”

Fellow state-qualifier Olivia Yoo ’22 said the team is performing at a much higher level at their meets this year. Moving towards the state finals, she said they also have more state qualifiers than last year.

“(To prepare for states) we are training hard and taking it easy outside of practice too and eating well,” Yoo said.

According to Barry, the team has been building their “taper pot,” by putting in the work now so that when they rest all of their work will cultivate. 

“We have been working really really hard at practice,” Barry said. “We have also been using our dual meets as practice for the bigger meets so that when we finally taper and rest it will all come together.”

The team honored their 13 seniors at Senior Night Oct. 29. The team’s record as of right now is 8-3, according to Thompson. 

“We have always been a really strong team competitively,” Burke said.

Division two state finals are Nov. 22 and 23 at Oakland University.

“I am most proud of the team for the commitment we have been putting in this season,” Burke said. “Our results are showing it.”