Language Clubs: German club looks to add out-of-school opportunities

Graphic by Abi Wilson 20.

Graphic by Abi Wilson ’20.

Erin Astfalk '21, Staff Writer

The start of the school year means the opportunity to get involved with the many clubs South has to offer, and students who take German are encouraged to get involved in German club this year.

According to junior and club member Kate Ennis, German club is run by Frau Petrill, and meetings take place in room 202.  

“We normally meet two Wednesday’s a month at 7:30,” Ennis said.

Not only is it a great way to get involved in school activities, but it’s a way to get to know your peers and feel more comfortable around them, according to Ennis.

“I’ve been in the club since Freshman year,” Ennis said. “It’s a really good environment where you can get to know people.”

The club has many different in-school activities organized. Even if you can’t attend them all, there are plenty of opportunities to choose from. 

“Some of my favorite things we’ve done was when we decorated gingerbread cookies for Christmas, or when we watch German movies,” Ennis said. 

According to Ennis, there are also many out of school opportunities too, like German day at the University of Michigan. 

“We’ve done a lot of fun outings,” Ennis said. “This year we’re going to the Detroit Symphony Opera, which we’ve never done before.” 

Any students that are interested in joining are welcomed to stop by at any meeting.