Language clubs: Latin club offers platform for study of ancient Rome

Graphic by Abi Wilson 20.

Graphic by Abi Wilson ’20.

Evie Klepp '22, Copy Editor

Providing a forum for Latin students to voice their opinions, make suggestions as to how the Latin program can improve and plan activities for every Latin class, the Latin club contributes an important part to the Latin program at South. 

The club is open to anyone who wants to be a participant, whether they’re a current Latin student, ex-Latin student or simply someone interested in Latin and ancient Rome. Meetings take place every Wednesday morning in Latin teacher David Smith’s room. During meetings, students are given the opportunity to share how they feel their Latin class is going. 

“First, Smith talks to representatives from each class and generally gets a feel for how the classes are running and if people have any suggestions for how the class can run, and to make them better,” four-year Latin student Dominic Dulac ’20 said. “Then we talk about problems with the program as a whole.” 

Besides the bagels, Dulac said that one of the reasons he’s come back for four years of Latin and Latin club is because how students engage with the Latin program at South. 

“I like the program a lot,” Dulac said. “It’s one of my favorite classes every year, and joining Latin club gives me an opportunity to move the program forward and make it better every week with every meeting, for every class and for every student.”