Senior drives home college commitment to Butler

Cameron Buhler '21, Staff Writer

Imagine already knowing your plan for college before even beginning senior year. No stress about college applications or tours. For some, like Cam Mallegg ’20, this is reality. 

Mallegg committed to Butler University in early March of his junior year to pursue his dreams of a career playing baseball. 

“I went on an official visit last November, and I toured and I loved it. At the end of the tour I talked to the coach and he gave me an offer. They gave me a deadline of April 1, and I decided that it was the best fit for me,” Mallegg said. 

Although Mallegg committed before senior year, it doesn’t change the way he would have approached senior year. 

“I can still apply and get academic money so I want to make sure my grades are as good as possible. I want to give myself the best opportunity to get academic money because they don’t give out full rides,” Mallegg said. 

For Liam Kaiser ‘21, being a teammate of Mallegg’s has proven to him that Mallegg has what it takes to be a college athlete.

“I feel like he made the right decision committing to play college baseball because he seems to have a lot of fun while playing and he has the talent and work ethic to keep going,” Kaiser said.  

As Mallegg’s freshman year approaches, there are already a few things that he is quite excited about. 

“I’m looking forward to meeting a lot of new people and gaining a ton of new connections in the baseball world. Also, just being able to do school and baseball at the same time and trying to become the best baseball player I can,” Mallegg said. 

According to Kaiser, Mallegg has been a great addition to the team and has been an even better teammate. 

“Cam is such a fun guy and he is capable of changing a game with one swing of the bat,” Kaiser said.  

For Mallegg, the thought of playing college baseball has been a lifelong dream that he is honored to be fulfilling.

“This commitment means a lot. Since I was little, playing professional baseball has always been a dream and I would say that this is the biggest step towards that. I always told myself that I would play D1 baseball and that I was going to do whatever I could to do that,” Mallegg said. “Really, this is all a dream come true.”