A letter from the superintendent

Photo+by+Jackson+Marchal+21.+

Photo by Jackson Marchal ’21.

Dear Tower Staff,

Let me start by saying I admire and respect The Tower as a student newspaper. The South Tower has a long history of outstanding student journalism and provides many opportunities to practice real world skills such as thinking critically, writing to educate our community, and listening. This week’s issue provides an opportunity for both the Tower staff and me to listen.

As Superintendent, I am responsible for evaluating your principal. I support Moussa Hamka as the Grosse Pointe South High School Principal. He is part of a new but deeply committed administrative team at South. Since my hire, the District has also hired the two assistant principals and athletic director. They were the best candidates for the position and they have helped establish a strong administrative team at South. The current administrative team has brought better connectivity, more coordination, and provided better business protocols for a more effective and efficient workplace. While we can always do better, the recent article deemphasized changes made to improve culture since the survey cited, and presented information with a slant that makes it seem South and Central administration are not responsive to your concerns.

My door has always been open. Many of you have interviewed me and my staff, as shown in the article. However, “Candid About Culture” creates another opportunity for me to again invite a candid dialogue at regular intervals with a group of GP High School students to discuss issues. I value students, faculty members and parents having a voice without fear of retribution. Having that input is the only way I can better understand what is going on in the Grosse Pointe Public School System. Formalizing this process would be another way, outside of interviews for specific articles, to foster the communication between us. How it is accomplished is yet to be determined. Would you be willing to meet with me to talk about facts, roles, and how to build the culture and climate you seek?

I would like to discuss the why behind recent safety protocols and answer questions regarding evaluation outlined in your article. The way schools need to support students is different in 2019 and calls for more safety and security than ever before. The safety of our students, faculty and staff is second to nothing else. Policies and administrative procedures have been implemented as a #OneGP way of doing business.

We want the best from our administrators and employees. We want the best for our students! Building a better school culture is about communication, working together and finding solutions. I want to hear your solutions. We are all open to suggestions, ideas and conversations. I am inviting you to help us create a better school climate. Please feel free to schedule a time with Denise Sharples, our administrative assistant at 313-432-3003 or email her at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Gary C. Niehaus

Superintendent

Letter from The Tower editors: https://thetowerpulse.net/30418/featured-content/a-letter-from-the-tower-editors/