Self-reflection is a beneficial New Year’s resolution

Bridget Doyle '21, Staff Writer

“I’m going to quit social media this year.”

“I’m going to stop eating sugar this year.”

“I’m going to stop procrastinating this year.”

It has been several weeks since 2019 has begun, and with a new year comes more New Year’s resolutions. It is a “new year, new me”, after all. For many teens, the “new them” ranges from getting better grades to getting into better shape. While resolutions are great for self-improving and provide motivation to surpass previous years, from what I’ve seen and from my personal experience, most just don’t seem to last.

According to the Miami Herald, 40% of Americans make resolutions for the upcoming year, while only 46% kept their objectives throughout the first six months. This completely defeats the purpose of setting goals in the first place.  

Instead of suddenly rushing to the gym or library the second you wake on New Year’s Day, I believe it is better to reflect on the previous year and question what you did that made the year the way it was. Ask yourself, “Was I kind to others this year? Did I spend enough time with my family and friends? Did I work hard this year? Did I balance my time? Am I proud of myself?”

Bettering yourself does not have to be a result of a new year. Just because there is a new number at the end of the current date does not necessarily mean that’s the time for a sudden sense of change. If you desire change, act upon it, whether it’s January, April or October. If I’m not happy with myself and I decide to change for the better, I am making a resolution, no matter what time of year. Although a brand new year is a big turning point, there shouldn’t be such pressure to make such commitments on a particular day, only to break them several weeks later.

I believe adjusting small aspects of your life to have an overall positive result throughout the year will help form an overall larger effect by the end of the year. It may seem pointless, but looking back at these little changes and all the great things that have occurred may be more helpful than pointing out every adverse scenario that happened and setting unrealistic standards.

So if you break your resolution, do yourself a favor and try not to sweat it. Just because it is January doesn’t mean there aren’t more opportunities lingering in the upcoming months. Reflecting, thinking and staying mindful of yourself will eventually result in successful outcomes than unrealistic resolutions that aren’t bound to stay.

About the Writer
Bridget Doyle '21, Copy Editor

Bridget Doyle ‘20 like to swim and go up north for vacation. She’s looking forward to Honors American Literature because it’ll be a nice break from...