GPPSS culture/environment survey

Back to Article
Back to Article

GPPSS culture/environment survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSds0b0dyx5m4Hd0zVk2PExQor1mwhgatkksCodMa6UuyD6HDQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

The Tower is conducting a survey about the culture/environment in the Grosse Pointe Public School district and how it has changed, if at all, over the past several years. As community members, we value your opinion and appreciate your input on the topic.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “GPPSS culture/environment survey”

1. John Henchel on January 3rd, 2019 12:45 pm

School/teachers/administrators/Principal should not impose their political beliefs on students. It is not their job or responsibility.

2. Ellie on January 3rd, 2019 3:58 pm

As an alum of Grosse Pointe South, it makes me so sad to hear how hostile of an environment it seems to be these days. My brother, who is currently a junior, has told me countless stories of the added security measures on the school regarding which door students can enter and depart from each morning and afternoon. Not only is this causing several parking lots and/or spaces to be completely useless and inefficient, but it is taking away from many of the opportunities students once had to remain safe (i.e. in extremely cold temperatures), to have “privileges” being a senior (i.e. parking in the S lot), as well as just extremely overcrowding entrances to the school which can be a severe fire hazard in it of itself.

In addition, I have heard about the change of the passing time between classes from 7 to 5 minutes. Not only is this completely unachievable if you have to go from one side of the building to the opposite, but this cuts away from some of the most valuable time spent in school. Throughout my high school years, some of my most favorite memories came from during passing time when I would go to my lockers with friends to get our books, and still have time to chit chat with each other and/or our teachers, faculty, and staff. Minimizing passing time limits students in the amount of time they have per day to interact with other human beings, especially their friends, because they have to spend that time getting their books from their locker, etc. This makes me the most sad because in a world surrounded by technology with students glued to their phones 24/7, changing a policy such as this one only promotes that behavior because students do not have time to converse with other people between classes, and therefore they most likely spend the few minutes before class starts on their phones or computers.

Finally, what makes me most sad and definitely quite mad as well, is the decision to get rid of the wonderfully kind, dedicated, and caring hall monitors that once used to walk our halls to ensure students were safe and on their best behavior. To here they have let these people go, only to hire a third party company with a team of cold, tougher guards, is extremely disheartening. This decision is once again eliminating some of the best and most cherished memories of high school for some students, because they got to know our hall monitors (some even being their friends’ mothers), and knew that they would always have their back if they were in any sort of troubling situation.

Overall, I am sad for the students that now walk the halls of Grosse Pointe South, because it clearly does not have an as warm and inviting atmosphere as it once did. We in this community pride ourselves on the acceptance, safety, and well-being of all our students, and to think students are now going to a school that seems more like a prison, is extremely disappointing. I only hope that things can make a move upwards in the near future. Thank you!

3. Graham Ludvigsen on January 3rd, 2019 4:43 pm

Too many Liberals

4. STR on January 4th, 2019 3:20 pm

I agree with with comment above that
    School teachers/administrators/coaches should not impose their political views into students, that is not their job nor their place, but also what students do during their personal time is up to their parents and not the school jobs to impose discipline.
    Also I think we need to have our Christmas break increase by a day or 2 and eliminate the extensive 1/2 days during the last week in of school in June. A complete waste, not much learning and listing parties.

5. Asp on January 5th, 2019 12:16 pm

GPS is a beautiful place. The beauty comes from within. I’ve seen students helping other students who may have different abilities than their own. I know of teachers who keep in touch with students who are in college- making sure they are doing well. As in life- problems will crop up- people won’t agree- but that isn’t the norm- unfortunately- it becomes the hyper focus in our district. One of my favorite sayings is— What we fear we create. I think we all need to step back a bit- lighten up on these kids. They know what they’re doing. They are thoughtful- socially concerned- aware and frankly I have more faith in the students then in some of the “rule makers”. Stay awesome kids- you’ve got this!!! I believe in you all

-I am GPS Alum and proud of you all!

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Entertainment

My view: “Aquaman” sinks to sea floor

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

South teacher shares passion for psychology with students

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

My view: Juice that goes above and beyond

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Um, like, just spit it out

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Alum pursues passion in and out of the workplace

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Entertainment

My view: “Vice” impresses at the theatres

• Opinion

Do we ever really get a “break”?

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

South Students lift spirits through fun socks

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Entertainment

My View: “The Princess Switch” puts a unique twist on the Classic Holiday Movie

• GPPSS culture/environment survey

Entertainment

Tower’s holiday fashion picks

GPPSS culture/environment survey