When the “roast-er” becomes the “roast-ee”

Student wonders when comedy goes too far?

Sylvia Hodges '19, Supervising Copy Editor

In recent years, popular late night comedy show Saturday Night Live (SNL) has come under fire for its political sketches and other touchy topics it satirizes. I have been a fan of the show for a while, and in the past, I have seen it become borderline unacceptable, and for me, it never really crossed that line.

However, Pete Davidson recently did cross that line when he made fun of Republican Dan Crenshaw, who recently won a seat representing Texas’ 2nd congressional district. He wears an eyepatch over his right eye, which he lost in a bomb explosion in Afghanistan in 2012, according to The Washington Post.

SNL’s purpose is to draw attention to various social and political topics through exaggeration. The writers have not been kind to public figures in the past, however, I believe many of their roasts of those people were valid.  Making fun of a wounded veteran, no matter their political beliefs, is not a valid roast.

Many called for Davidson to apologize to Crenshaw, which he did not do until a week after the sketch aired.  

During the weekly Weekend Update sketch, Davidson apologized to Crenshaw.  Crenshaw himself then appeared on the sketch, and got his turn to roast Davidson.  The two then ended the sketch by calling for political unity in America, especially during Veterans’ Day.

I watched this sketch for the first time on Veterans’ Day, and I couldn’t think of a better way SNL could have honored the holiday.