Theater Teacher inducted into the Hall of Fame

Jacob Harris '22, Web Manager

Theater and English teacher Meaghan Dunham has been inducted into the Educational Theater Association Hall of Fame. Dunham has been teaching Drama at South for 24 years, and this honor is a great way to commemorate her for the work she’s done.

This exclusive group recognizes members that have made great contributions to theatre education for 20 years or more. It is the highest honor provided by the Educational Theatre Association.

Dunham was very excited about the honor, but knows that there’s more to it than just her.

“I am very proud but also very humbled because there’s a lot of amazing people who came before me as well as amazing people who will come after, but it is really wonderful to be acknowledged for the work that you do with young people on a daily, yearly, sometimes hourly basis,” she said.

Harry Campion, who has worked with Dunham for 24 years, knows that she is very worthy of earning this high honor.

“She is such an exemplary teacher. Everybody can learn from her and everybody can learn from her style. Other teachers can have a lot to learn from her about the way she deals with things. She is always so full of energy. I think that this particular honor is sort of the pinnacle of recognition for theatre teachers in the United States,” Campion said.

Drama student Lashun O’Rear ‘18 also had high praise for Dunham. O’Rear knows how important she is to every production and the students that she teaches.

“I think the way that she interacts with us and the way that she lets students take charge of things is what I love about her. She gives everything to the characters and to the actors and to the crew, just everyone,” O’Rear said.

Dunham’s love and passion for theatre is evident, just as O’Rear said, she puts everything into the productions. Dunham knows just how much theatre can do for people.

“Theatre has the ability to make every person it touches a more vital, interesting individual.  It teaches life skills. It teaches communication, collaboration, creativity, all the things you need. It just gets you outside of your comfort zone,” Dunham said.

Campion, with all his experiences with her, knows her enough to realize she is more than just a teacher. Outside of her productions and classrooms, she is still the great person people know her to be.

“She has a really good sense of what’s important in life. She is able to put aside the small things and concentrate on the big picture and that is something everyone can do better at,” Campion said.

Dunham is showing no signs of slowing down, and this award is more motivation to continue to have great effects on South.

“Educators are in it for a different kind of reward. We aren’t in this not for, well yes personal gratification of course but not necessarily the lavishing upon us with accolades. It’s nice once in a while and once in a while keeps you going. That’s really all you need.”