Summer jobs to build your college application

As Summer approaches, students are attempting to find jobs. Graphic courtesy of Eva McCord ’21

Sarah Stevenson '19, Web Manager

The school year is winding down, summer is about one month away, and you may be scrambling to find a job for this summer vacation.

Whether you want to get a head start on a career, earn spending money, or you’re being forced to find an activity during the summer, here are some ways to find a job for this summer.

One of the most important aspects of a summer job is location. This doesn’t necessarily mean city or area, but also if you will be working indoors or outdoors. If you want to make money while enjoying the weather, working at a plant shop, garden, pool or even nannying are some options.

Although there are multiple “easy jobs” to obtain for the summer, you may want to consider something that you are either passionate about or have a lot of knowledge about. This will allow you to experiment with a variety of possible careers, and also make your summer more memorable. Some ideas are photography, social media, or a specific subject that interests you.

Today, photography and social media are a huge part of almost every company or business; they both allow engagement with the community. In addition, businesses would rather have a teenager that keeps up with technology and advancements in social media than someone who may be less knowledgeable. If you do want to have a job in one of these areas, it may be a good idea to post some of your own work, such as photos, on some type of social media platform, for instance Facebook. In addition to your work or evidence of experience, provide an explanation that you are looking for a job and explain why you are qualified.

Another way to share your experience is to start a website that showcases your work and talent. A link to your website would be easy to share and allow others to learn more about you and what you will offer them.

If you’re not concerned about making money during the summer but rather getting experience prior to college, an internship is a great way to learn more about a certain field. Although a lot of places do not pay their interns, there are some businesses that will allow students to gain experience working at their company while also getting paid. Although almost every job looks good on a college application and can help when searching for a job during or after college, an internship will allow you to have an opportunity that provides you a taste of the “real world”.

If you are searching for an internship, looking up “Internships near me” on the internet will provide a wide variety of jobs that will give you lots of options for this summer.

Another option is to start your own business. This allows you to work at your own pace while also getting paid for something you enjoy. Parents of younger children always seem to be looking for someone to teach their kids something whether that be in sports, music, etc. If you enjoy playing an instrument or have played a sport, teaching lessons would be a great option for a summer job.

There are many other options regarding a summer job or activity, but these will provide you with ideas and projects to work on for this vacation.